Friday, January 13, 2012

Sewing 4 my boy.



Free hat pattern and tutorial can be found HERE.

Honestly, I didn't think I would get this done.  It was a hard sewing week!   I worked on making a drivers cap pattern most of the week.   I had plans to make a wool winter coat, a messenger bag, a hat, slippers, a pair of jeans, a shirt and a vest.  I could have done it all if I stuck with patterns (boo hoo, boo hoo).  I ended up making 3 drivers caps (one denim, one neutral fabric, and one of leather) along with a messenger bag.


The cap pattern drove me crazy.   Trying to get a nice fitting hat takes so much time.   The good news is I finished it and once I tidy up the pattern I'll post a tutorial for it (sometime next week). 


This hat is in the fabric Travis picked. I would LOVE to embroider on it but he won't let me.
I feel bad making him model for me when he's sick (poor kid).
 

Here's the denim cap.



Here's little sis wearing it (I forgot to snap a photo before Travis left for school).


After I got my pattern worked out I moved on to a messenger bag and another hat. The messenger bag was a must because my son lost the latch for his Lands'End messenger bag this week (I think a girl who likes him took it off his bag). Do your kids loose strange things when they go off to school?

Here is my boy at 6:30AM this morning with his new bag and hat (tired and glossy eyed from a cold).



The fabric for this project came from a thrifted leather coat.  The leather is so nice and soft.

The coat I found at the thrift shop for $19.99.  I got it on 1/2 price day so it was $10.00!

I LOVE how this bag turned out.  It has two belts on the front to close the flap and a larger belt for the shoulder strap.  


I lucked out on this because my original idea was to buy some thrifted belts and a leather coat to make a bag, the shoulder strap, and front closures.  This leather coat came with one large and two small belts!   Each wrist had a small belt making it the PERFECT coat for this project.

Here's a photo of the original coat sleeve.



Another showing the large belt around the waist.




Here is a close up of how I used the small wrist belts on the messenger bag.



Late last night I was ready to call it a night after finishing the messenger bag but 24 Hour Catwalk came on TV and I felt energized.  I felt like I could stay up all night and sew with the people on the show.   Not only that but Mondo on Project Runway last night was wearing a leather driving hat!  I felt like Mondo was telling me to make another hat in leather.  He told me I could keep sewing and get it done before morning.


Last night I broke a LOT of needles.  Breaking leather needles isn't an easy thing to do on a normal sewing day. Things broke, stuck, and jammed...  I stole some of my husbands plumbing stuff out of his toolbox (I used some Teflon tape on my machine to use for a quick fix for the leather sticking problem).  I had to make some rather crude sewing tools after midnight (hubby knocked over my sewing box and I was missing a few things).  Do you know if you don't have that tool handy that lifts up your presser foot to sew over a bulky seam a small needle box will work in a pinch?

Here is a photo of my boy in his new hat.  He's on his way to school.  Did I mention he woke up with a cold?  I see he didn't dry his hair this morning after his shower.  Wet hair+winter weather= sick child?




I'm very tired.  I feel like I was in all the TV competitions I watched last night.  I was sewing when Project Runway came on at 8:00 PM (last weeks show).  I kept sewing during the new episode at 9:00 PM.  I remember seeing 24 Hour Catwalk and Dance Moms.  Then I saw both Project Runway All Stars again!  I think I turned off the machine around 2:00-3:00AM.   I'm feeling happy with what I've made but yet sad over what I couldn't get done.  Instead of sewing the rest of the things on my "sewing for my boy" list I think I'm going to turn on sesame street and curl up on the couch with this child for a little morning nap.



Please forgive the very poor writing today.  It's hard for me to think/write when I'm tired. 



I forgot to write this was part of the sew at home Project Run and Play week 2 boys week 

BTW, I love this messenger bag so much I know I will be making myself one real soon!  I plan to look for some leather more worn out and old looking to make myself a bag.

7 comments:

Gottfredsen said...

Amber they look great. I would love to see your tutorial for the hat. Sam would love a hat like that.

Caroline said...

I really, really, really ,love the bag!

cheska said...

i simply like the style.

cheska
www.n8fan.net

crish roberts said...

Wanna be different, and stand out from the crowd? Wear a leather messenger bag For Men from Soulful Collection, and see how your personality goes from 'zzzz' to 'zip zap zoom'!

andrea chiu said...

God allows us to experienced pain and failure for us to become a better person. To stand still and continue our life's journey. Visit my site for more information.

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com

Cindy Dy said...

Excellent and decent post. I found this much informative, as to what I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and keep it up.

Bry
www.gofastek.com

lee woo said...

Love it! Very interesting topics, I hope the incoming comments and suggestion are equally positive. Thank you for sharing this information that is actually helpful.


ufgop.org
ufgop.org