Friday, November 24, 2006

Pilgrim costume finished.

In case you wanted to know...... I did finish in time!!!

I finished the pilgrim and indian costumes by 4 am on Wed. I got tired and didn't have time to put them on my blog. I got up early Thurs. morning found a small amount of black fabric and decided to whip of a dress. I didn't take pictures as I went but I can tell you how I did it.
This should fit my DD for a very long time yet. I used 1 piece of black fabric 19 inches wide and about 44 inches long. I folded it in half the fold is the neck area. I cut a hole in the center of the fold 9 1/2 inches wide it dips down about 1 1/2 inches in the front and the back of the neck just went straight across. You can just cut a hole large enough for the child's head. I left 5 inches on each side for her arms and sewed up the sides. I then turned under the 10 inch (5 front and back) of the armholes and seamed along. 1 inch black FOE was added at the neck and that was it. I spent about 5 maybe 10 minutes and it was all done.
The apron was a piece of fabric about 16 inches wide and 11 inches long. Sewed around 4 sides and added ties (same thing the bonnet ties are). Very simple.


The collar isn't pretty! BUT it did work OK. This was what I was working on at around 3 am (my excuse for being ugly). cut 2 circles (mine was more like ovals) 13 inches around and another circle in the center about 5 1/2 inches. Then just a large upside down V to make the shape. I sewed around the entire thing leaving a hole to turn. Turn then sew the hole shut. I added a little velcro to hold it shut in the front. This is the full costume. It was so worth staying up to do. My DD LOVES it! I feel good knowing was able to do something for her like I did for her brother when he was her age. KWIM?

No comments: