Sunday, September 17, 2006

koolaid yarn again.

This is how I did the yarn. This is fisherman's wool yarn. It is about 80-100 wraps around thumb and elbow.


Yarn was tied (not tight) then put some warm water in sink with a squirt of Dawn.

I mixed koolaid in a dish of warm water. The wet yarn was put in the dish and stuck in the microwave for 2 minutes. The dish sat for 5-10 minutes and then heated in the microwave for another 2 minutes. 1/4 cup of vinegar and a little salt was added. This was the first time I ever added salt or vinegar. I read it doesn't hurt anything so I did it. The dish sat on the counter for several hours to cool. After a rinse (the rinse water was about the same temp. the water in the dish was) The yarn was hung to dry.

I did the same for lemon lime koolaid(my favorite), Ice blue raspberry lemonade, and grape. The ice blue raspberry lemonade didn't turn out the color I wanted. I put about 10 drops of blue food color in a dish with 1/2 cup vinegar to try to get the color I wanted.
This is how they turned out. The darker blue is the one made with food coloring. I ended up adding some red food coloring into the grape koolaid dish. It was more blue than purple so 2 drops of red gave it more of a purple color. The food coloring was added after the first 2 minutes in the microwave.

I picked out the lemon lime, orange, and some yarn with no color to make my shorts. My first shorts (ones in my first or second post on this blog) I made with the same 3 colors and some cherry koolaid yarn.

No comments: